Friday, June 1, 2007

Op-Ed: What Arrrrr ye gonna do?


Dont worry, no spoilers here. Im not a movie critic but Iam a fan of the Pirates flicks, and yesterday I saw Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End.

Pirates 3 is the first one Ive seen on the big screen, and Im amazed at how much more detail there is to everything, (special effects, costumes, sets). Its a full on action spectacle providing a great escape from the everyday world, which is what I expect for $15.30 AUD. (Thats a matinee price!)

Ok, so there are too many sub-plots, a few moments Id never have expected from Disney, more schmaltz* than I can stomach, and the end does leave them open to a fourth - but it is such a rich visual treat you quickly get over that. Disney knows how to suck you in, thats for sure.

Is it as good as 1 & 2? Well, the first two were more polished in plot, and had much better flow. But if you enjoyed the first two, you wont feel cheated by three.

* schmaltz: excessively sentimental, sugary banality
DISCLAIMER: Im not omnipotent. These thoughts are only my opinion.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I want to know how you got into a movie for only $15.30?!

I want to see it, but I think I will just wait until it comes out on DVD. It is way too much effort to get to a movie these days!

Lavender said...

Sorry Mate! I should have said that that was the matinee price! (Shift work has some benefits, eh?)

I usually wait for the DVD as well, I think the last movie I saw in a theatre was Lord of The Rings, pt3! LOL

Cheers!

Jenni said...

I know the movie hasn't gotten the greatest reviews, but I still want to see it anyway. Thanks for the review!