Saturday, July 21, 2007

Orchid, Stanhopea Occulata for Lensday



This weeks Lensday assignment is: Beautiful. You can click the picture for a larger view.

Although labelled as Stanhopea Occulata when I purchased it many years ago, I suspect it is actually a cross with Occulata, rather than Occulata itself. The flowers are a soft sulphur yellow where other specimens Ive seen are white. Either way, this is one of my favourite orchids.

Unlike most plants, Stanhopea blooms from the base of the plant. This means that it must be grown in a basket with medium which will allow the flower stem to emerge. I line the basket with coconut fibre and use a standard orchid bark medium.

I grow mine hanging in a bottlebrush (Callistemon) tree near my front door, and it blooms for me in March each year. (Which proves again you don’t need a greenhouse to grow orchids.) The blossoms last only a few short days, but are truly worth a years wait.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

BEAUTIFUL! They look like they have yellow faces with spotted noses in front and fancy hats on their heads! I love orchids because their faces have character :)) Plus worth the wait!

Lavender said...

Many Thanks Anon! Youre right, they do have faces, although this one might be said to have a rather 'horsey' nose LOL
When this one blooms I feel like a proud parent, no one gets in the house without my pointing it out to them and extracting a suitable level of praise :) hehehe

Anonymous said...

I didn't want to detract from their overall beauty by pointing to their 'horsey' nose HHAHHAHHAAA! I think this orchid looks like a Theatre Actor! Especially with the audience and praise they receive at your house :)

Lavender said...

Oh! That was indeed most kind of you! Many thanks! hehehe
Yes - an actress with a giant flowery hat, long flowing skirts, white gloves,a silk handkerchief in one hand (that never stops gesturing for emphasis) and a southern (us) accent and Wha La! You have a Stanhopea....
you sure pegged this character!

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Wonderfully taken, Lavender. It captures all the beauty of the flower.

Lavender said...

Oh Thank you Captain!
(I hope I wasnt too cheeky over on yours!)

Maria said...

Hello! The pictures on your blog are just amazing! I love them!

Regards!

Lavender said...

Thank you very much Maria, and thanks for stopping by, I enjoyed visiting your blog, Cheers!

Anonymous said...

wow i gotta show this picture to my mom. she loves that kind of flowers. she´s always taking pictures in our garden. she´s a garden-freak. she´ll be excited about that one.

thanks for visiting ;)
*chilli*technology*
*chilli*music*
*chilli*movies*

Lavender said...

Thanks Matthias, Im sure your Mom will love them - Cheers!

Unknown said...

Thought you might like to see Stan. occulata doing well under a big spreading poinciana in Noosa hinterland, Queensland.

http://hmrmud.blogspot.com/