Sunday, July 8, 2007

Budgie Sunday - Gandalf Returns!


Gandalf is back from his trip to Washington where he enjoyed the 4th of July celebrations. As you can see, he successfully avoided any injury due to fireworks.

Gandalf is an ex-exhibition budgerigar (parakeet), which in a nutshell means that he was bred for size as well as appearance. Exhibition budgies are usually twice the size of non-show birds. He is a gorgeous grey-blue opaline and is 13 years old. Thats pretty old for a budgie!

He was given to me by a breeder who was retiring him from stud duties three years ago. Gandalf didnt have any interest in breeding for me, and thats OK. I assume he had just had enough, and I was happy to just provide a 'retirement' home for him.

Gandalf the Grey


Although still physically fit, he spends most of his time sitting in a spot of sunlight singing to himself. He has that peaceful nature that often comes with great age. I can think of worse ways to spend my final years. May we all be so lucky.

13 comments:

Ces Adorio said...

Well he is a handsome bird. What made him larger than the regular birds. Was he given a special diet?

Flo said...

He is a beauty. DC is a long way for a little budgie to go all by himself. Glad he made it home safely :)

And yes, a bit of sunlight, a little singing, not a bad way to end your days.

Anonymous said...

He looks like a Gandalf too! Has a wise and knowing face :) He is very lucky to have such a wonderful Retirement Home. It's not really funny, but I laughed about him sitting in the sun singing to himself ... we should be so lucky in retirement :))

Lavender said...

Hi Ces! Through selective breeding they get the birds so big that some are unable to fly! I made a big nuisance of myself at the budgie society on that topic, you can rest assured on that.
Luckily for the birds, interest in competitive showing of budgies is in a sharp decline - so the practice may yet die out! Hooray!!!

Lavender said...

Hi Flo, Good to see you! Thank you, I think he is pretty dashing too. I thought he looked smashing on top of the Washington Monument lol!

Lavender said...

Hi Anon, thank you very much. I agree he looks wise, and he does act that way as well. Everybudgie else may be in a flap about whatever, and there'll be Gandalf, just peacefully sitting in his spot :)
You know birds, they love to get a reaction from us, so I think he would be glad you laughed....and indeed you would laugh to see him at it - always has his face just a centimetre away from the wall while he sings! LOL

Lavender said...

{{{comment length is in direct proportion to coffee consumption}}}

Anonymous said...

Dear Lavender, BEWARE of coffee - grinding your teeth yet? It also makes your teeth go brown! They might all end up falling OUT! Not surprised Gandalf keeps laughing and can't look at you in the face *bwark!*

Lavender said...

Oh, you cheeky, cheeky bird!

Ces Adorio said...

Good morning Lavender. I have not yet had coffee. Had to wake up, called by work to check something online. So while waiting I come to your blog and read that some of the birds are so huge they cannot fly - oh my. I am so glad you spoke for the birds. I never knew these things. I echo Anon's observation about him looking wise. I think he has found a happy home in your place.

Lavender said...

Ces - thank you! Isnt it funny how the quest for an ideal of perfection just ends up causing suffering? Oh well, I will keep on being a thorn in thier side LOL

Louise said...

Gandalf is quite impressive! I have tagged you, see my blog for detailshttp://eliminate-my-debt.blogspot.com/

Lavender said...

Cheers Louise! And good luck with your goals - keep up the good fight!