Saturday, July 14, 2007

Budgie Sunday, meet Freebird


You might remember Freebird from my post Budgerigars in Love awhile ago. In that photo, he is feeding his mate Goldie, but it looks for all the world like a passionate kiss. Freebird is a 'normal' blue budgie.

Where Goldie is concerned, he is a real lover. And there is no better birdy dad for chicks. In fact, when this pair have chicks in the nest, Freebird will even swoop at me threateningly, warning me with sharp calls, and flashing eyes. Don’t worry, he knows me well, and as soon as he sees that I have some greens or millet in my hand, he becomes a good pal again.

Many people think that his name comes from the Lynyrd Skynyrd song of the same name. Nope, that’s not it. He actually was a free bird! I won him as a prize from the Bobbie Budgie Radio Show about two years ago.

Freebird’s favourite veggies are grass runners from the lawn, green beans and especially chicory. Thats the green leaves in the photo above. Chicory is very high in calcium, making it an excellent veg for your feathered friends.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel sorry for Goldie after Freebird deserted her when she had babies! I've put the radio show into my 'favourites' folder and will try to tune in some time :)

Lavender said...

Hi Anon....yes that was a bit of drama, although I did enjoy feeding her in his stead! I think he realized that she didnt have a chance - it was all Gorgeous George's fault! LOL

Anonymous said...

Very pleased the pair are back together again :) Guess Goldie didn't have much choice with George being 'Gorgeous' HAHHAA Now I feel sorry for Freebird! He doesn't look THAT bad looking to me ;)

Lavender said...

Yeah, I think he was just hurt when he caught them together - poor Goldie, she tried to resist but Gorgeous George was not taking no for an answer - from any of the hens - quite the randy little budge!

PS- Thanks for the heads up on linkages, it was being very persnickety!

Anonymous said...

Persnickety! There needs to be a 'Lavender Dictionary' in one of your new sidebars ;) That radio show stopped in January, but listening to their last broadcast right now :)) I'll go away now ... have a great Sunday!

Lavender said...

Oh, good idea! I could tie it in with the Aussie Slang one Ive been thinking about - so many readers from the states, I thought theyd find it handy....Have a great day too!

Jean-Luc Picard said...

I haven't come across a blog with budgies in love before!

Lavender said...

Greetings Captain! Thats good news, thank you. I hope I can find more things to blog about that are unique in all the galaxies....Cheers!

Snoskred said...

Budgies really are very pretty.. :) I don't have any of my own so I muchly appreciate looking at yours.. ;)

Snoskred
http://snoskred.blogspot.com/

Lavender said...

Cheers Snoskred, glad you enjoy them! Thanks for stopping by