Sunday, July 22, 2007

Budgie Sunday - meet Gorgeous George


Thought it was past time to introduce the interloper in Goldie & Freebird’s romance. This, is Gorgeous George. About 2 years old, and a Recessive Pied Budgerigar (parakeet).

Earlier this year he had his first trip to the breeding room, where he decided to ‘gather ye rosebuds, while ye may’ - so to speak. After causing much trouble for the other couples I sequestered him with his intended mate, Violet, in separate quarters. Once free of the distraction of other hens, he settled down and became quite the attentive, caring partner, and an excellent dad. But since the breeding pairs all went back to the main aviary, Ive noticed he still courts Goldie, much to Freebirds chagrin!



I cant say he has a favourite veggie, as he attacks them all with zeal. He doesnt interact with me as much as some of my other birds, but he is a fool for sprays of millet. If Ive got millet in my hand he will let me pet him while he eats it. Fair enough.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH haha I can see why Goldie finds him difficult to resist! Now I'm wondering what is wrong with Violet. Although it does sound like Gorgeous George likes to 'spread his wings' even if Violet was a Princess :)

Lavender said...

Yep, he loves the ladies, hehehe!
He must be a sweet talker too.
Violet is....cantankerous! Yes, thats the perfect description for her. Too bad she doesnt have a pretty disposition to go with her lovely violet colouring. :(

Snoskred said...

What gorgeous coloring! I'm especially a fan of the purple near the beak. I love your Budgie Sundays. ;)

Snoskred
http://www.snoskred.org/

Lavender said...

Oh Thank you Snoskred, I appreciate your saying so, Cheers!

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Gorgeous George is well named. He looks like a ladies' budgie.

Lavender said...

Thanks Captain! Sometimes I think I ought to change it to 'Casanova' LOL!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful bird, I'm also a fan of the purple.

Lavender said...

Hi Palm Coast! Eastern Florida is very nice - look forward to see how your blog develops, Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Kind reminds me of a bird my auntie used to keep. Colouring was quite stunning!