Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Hollyhock Skyscraper Skyline

The very first time I saw hollyhocks, they looked like this. You can see how they would make a big impression on a little person.

They were in the shade of the house when the sky was finally clear enough for a nice blue background. For this shot I laid down on the path next to them and shot straight up in arpeture priority mode.

This way I was able to get shots where the hollyhocks were either totally black against the sky (cool looking), or more naturally coloured as in this case. (Sorry it is so small, but I figure you dont have all day to read blogs - maybe most of the day - but not all of it.)

4 comments:

BetteJo said...

I love it that you laid down on the path to get the right shot! You love us, you really do! :)

Nice pic. :)

Melanie said...

theres that fancy arpeture word again. I am going to have to get off my backside and learn this stuff. Isnt it fab when we remember things so vivdly from when we were little and can recapture it. Thanks for your enthusiam, it is always inspiring.

kj said...

what a great shot, lavender. i love hollyhocks. they are so regal and proud.

:)

Lavender said...

BetteJo Teehee! It also amuses my neighbors LOL But actually, it was kinda nice there - except for the ants :)

melanie Thanks Melanie! I appreciate that! Hey, I know this great resource for learning Darren Rowse's Digital photography school blog Theres more there than anyone can possibly grasp! BUT he also does a weekly tips newsletter, and you could just pick the odd thing here and there to try - as time permits - check it out :)

kj Oh excellent words for them, KJ! I agree completely!