Thursday, November 6, 2008

Common Fringe Lily -Thysanotus tuberosus


The honeyeaters we were stalking stayed deep in the brush. Clearly they were unconcerned with my desire to see them or for my cameras welfare in the increasing rain. As I set off back to the car I found this treasure.

Thysanotus tuberosus - the Common Fringe Lily. How can they use the word 'common' in the name for this gorgeous flower? This is the first one Ive ever seen - offline! The impossibly beautiful flowers are held aloft on wire like stems, I could see no leaves at all.

I dont think I have to explain how much Id like to cultivate these. I have seen seed for sale, and each time left them behind as Aussie natives are a tricky lot to propagate from seed. But next time I do, I wont hesitate!

4 comments:

Young Werther said...

Absolutely gorgeous this!

Melanie said...

gorgeous flower indeed.

Barkfoot said...

Are you sure that's a real flower? You wouldn't be making them from coloured feathers and bits of wire would you?

BetteJo said...

Geez, do we have anything nearly that pretty in the U.S.? I'm thinking not.