Monday, April 27, 2009

Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo, Calyptorhynchus funereus


Most of the group did fly off, suspicious of my intentions. But this one was content to enjoy its pinecone munchie for a few minutes more, before following its mates calls deeper into the wood.





After it flew off, The Most DH let the Rover roll downhill to pick me up. Excited from my encounter, and grateful for being so well loved, the rest of the day was spent happily exploring muddy tracks that didnt appear on our GPS.

________

Sometimes groups of these fly over our house, I always run out to see them whenever I hear their call.

For more information please see:

Yellow Tailed Black Cockatoo at the Australian Museum Online
Yellow Tailed Black Cockatoo at Wikipedia
Yellow Tailed Black Cockatoo at Birds in Backyards

3 comments:

BetteJo said...

Never knew there was such a thing! Nice of him to sit still for you for a bit!

kj said...

i'm imagining the rover rolling downhill...

:)

Vanessa Bates said...

I have never seen this bird before. What a pretty bird :)