Friday, August 10, 2007

The Cure Sydney Entertainment Centre Aug 9 '07





Im not a professional reviewer, in fact I probally suck as a reviewer - but here it is, GREAT SHOW!!!!!

Where to start? It was my first time at the Sydney Entertainment Centre, and I must say, its not a venue for music, is it? Acoustically its...terrible! Its well run and clean, the center staff know what they are doing. Its just a pity that they are a bit of a buzz kill while doing it. Id have liked to get up and dance a bit, more than I could manage in my seat. And I wish Id brought my camera! Although the tickets and many signs at the venue say 'no recording devices' I saw hundreds of them. It perplexes me that that sort of thing wasnt enforced, while major efforts were made to keep everyone tight to thier seat. (I got these shots with my camera phone.)

But I still had a fantastic time! The Cure have some unreal sound equipment - the last time every fibre of my being vibrated like that, the military was involved. Amazing! Loud to the very edge of pain - that didnt matter either! Too swept away by the passion for thier music coming from them! Even with all that great equipment, it amazes me how four individuals communicate intimately with a huge crowd...amazes me!

Who did the lighting? Ive never seen colours so clean - razor sharp pure colours, deployed very artfully. Being a colour lover - I seriously dug the lights as well as the music. They also used alot of light out over and onto the crowd, which really left me feeling like I was a part of the show. Nice bonus!

Numbers spanned thier career, and I admitt, its the old old stuff that excites me most. I guess thats to be expected after 28 years of grooving to Three Imaginary Boys. It was great to see people young enough to be there with a parent - and BOTH of them enjoying the gig! Makes me reflect on how much has changed since the first time I dyed my hair purple and learned to play the bass - amplified by the fact that I cant play the bass anymore....I guess I finally understand the value of 'nostalgia'.

Id hoped to hear 10:15 Saturday Night, and The Most DH was hoping for Killing an Arab. And in the final encore - we got our wish. I swear its like they knew what Id come for! And they played for over three hours - how cool is that?!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty cool Lavender!!!! The photos have great lighting effects too ... although can't make out the first one, it looks like a potato head HA-HA!

Lavender said...

Thanks Anon! And I didnt do anything to these shots, except crop them down - Groovy colours!!! The first shot was just another stage shot, but a coloured spot came thru at just the right moment - thought it was cool in its own way, so up it went!
I had the best time, although the world is a little quieter today LOL!


Hope to catch up with comments this afternoon everyone - I havent forgotten anyone xoxo

Anonymous said...

i have a question concerning your sidebar. how/where did you get this technorati widget/button? i only found the "add me to your favs"-button. can you give me a link or a description on where to find it?
thanks
chilli

Lavender said...

Hey Chilli, hows it going?
Well, I couldnt remember, so I went out to Technorati to see...and the answer is - its not working now!!!
But if you want to give it a go....
sign into technoratio, go to My account, select the tab for Blogs, and look for the green button 'edit widget'....there you can select which features you want to show on your widget with Authority icon..............BUT.....
no matter which features I select, it will only serve up the code for ALL the features - not just the ones I want....
someone get me some aspirin, Ive got a headache!

But Chilli, if when my blog finally loads (I dont know if its me or blogger right now) when the Authority icon comes up, there will be a 'get this widget' code at the bottom of it - that should take you straight to the page your looking for....if you still wanna risk it :)

Lavender said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dawnae said...

love the photos! So cool, that would be great to go to a concert, I haven't been to one in ages...lets see 2002! Take care, glad you had a great time.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

You look like you got your money's worth!

Lavender said...

Dawnae, :) I think the last concert I saw was near the end of the 80's - How'd that happen? LOL
Be good to yourself till next time!

Captain I really did! I was hesitant to spend $109.00 AUD a ticket, but Wow! Money well spent!

beautifulexcuse said...

Hello, I'm doing an assessment on The Cure's Ent Cent show and stumbled across your page while in search for technical information about the show.

Saw that you wanted to know the lighting designer: it was Abigail Rosen-Holmes :)

xCait

Lavender said...

Caitlin - THANK YOU! I appreciate that you filled me in on that. The lights really were amazing, although my photos dont display them to thier best advantage (I did like the effects I got tho)
Good luck with your assessment, hey, if you have a blog somewhere, please let me know so I can visit you - Thanks again!

Jingle said...

Its looking cool, i am sure you people had a great time there, i wish to be there with you.