Saturday, December 22, 2012

That which I can not avoid...

is nearly upon me.

Did I write that?  It sounds so, perhaps victorian melodrama?   And yet, I just wasted about a half hour on eBay looking at things with Ravens on them, so, that just may be where Im at.

Since I last blogged, Ive had one good friend offer me a willing ear and some sensible suggestions on this issue.  That was really helpful, and went a long way toward calming me down.

But you know, I cant win. 

That may be the thing that stinks the most to me.  You know, nobody likes a game they can't win. 

I dont think there is anything constructive to be gained by going deep into the why that is - at least not at this late stage.  But I will put down some other thoughts that have been jogging in a big circuit around my brain, keeping me awake at night and generally making a nuisance of themselves...it wont be a complete set of thoughts, and it is in no particular order.  #just sayin'

CAUTION:
If you are sensitive about Christmas and do not want anything to challenge that...
DONT READ THIS!

Something may be missing in my 'value system'. 
Maybe Ive just been away from the surviving members of my 'family of origin' too long. (Migrant issue)
Maybe its just becauseof the sweltering heat, blazing sunshine and general loudness.
(As opposed the the chilly - hang out by the fire, short days/dark early and the hush of snowy rooftops.)
Anybody notice there is something obscenely self-aggradizing about showering people with gifts and wrappings and cards and  entertainments and mountains of food?
Everybody knows there are hungry and homeless people out there, right?  Quite possibly nearby too.
I see the why, I understand the desire...its just...it makes me uncomfortable.
We all have so much, and most of it we dont need at all, and will throw away in no time at all.
The lights are pretty.
Its nice to buy someone you love a present (especially if its a nice present, ie: not socks! LOL)
My mother LOVED Christmas.  She's been dead since 1993.
Anybody else notice the piles of discarded furniture and appliances outside homes starting about October?  (Why do so many people have to re-decorate before they can have their 'loved ones' over for lunch?)
Wrapping paper and cards - sure they are lovely - but - more dead trees...Can nothing escape this?
I get the feasting thing... I get that, thats ancient human stuff.  But, so often its too much.
And the expectations!  Aw geeze, they really make getting along with other people a tricky proposition.
Everyone should remember that I think packing a bag to spend a night away is more hassle than its worth.
And anyone who knows me, knows I dont like crowds.
So...really.....is it any wonder that I am not enjoying this the same way so many others do?
___________________________

Depending on what happens in the next few days, this may be the last of The Christmas Rant.

Untill next year................(((((Theme from Jaws)))))

Im not gonna edit this - goodnight!   Have Happy Holidays However You Like Them Everyone!

6 comments:

Lavender said...

And as always, the anticipation of the thing, is worse by far than the reality.

BetteJo said...

I love Christmas and I don't think you can change that, no worries. My Christmas would probably suit you - very quiet. My siblings live on different coasts and we haven't spent the holidays together since I was oh .. 18 I think. The holidays were more boisterous and loud when I was still married and my kids were little - we went to the in-laws house and there were cousins ...
Now it's just me and my kids Christmas morning, and then they go to the in-laws (now ex) for Christmas dinner and I usually take a nap. :) And I like it that way! My in-laws still invite me to their house every year and I still say no every year. I rarely do things I don't want to, and I don't have a husband's feelings to consider. I think a Christmas nap with the tree lit and the TV on it the background is a perfect way to spend part of that day. I do something similar on Thanksgiving - again - my choice. I hope at some point other people's expectations won't play such a large part in your holidays. Maybe then you can enjoy them in your own way. Might not be napping - but it would be what YOU want it to be.
Thinking of you Lavender!

Young Werther said...

Christmas in the 40C heat doesn't really feel like Christmas eh? And when one is expected to have the ham in the oven...

I buy my own presents for me, hand them out and make them pay me back. This way, what I receive, I know I want! I can do it because it's the kids!!

Merry Christmas Lavender! saying just to wind you up ;)

Lavender said...

Youre a genius!!! A Wizard!!!

LOL what a bleeping great idea!

Too bad I know better than to expect to collect from this mod LOL


Have a very Merry Mate.

Cheers!

Lavender said...

....er....Mob that is.

To bad they arent Mod's we could don some Ben Sherman and go scootering on our Vespa's...LOL

Lavender said...

BetteJo -
Your day sounds perfectly lovely to me! Sort of a best of both worlds thing going on there!
And a nap....oh my....what a luxurious thing to do.....that would be lovely...particularly with a twinkling tree to watch as you drift off!!!
Thank you BetteJo, and many more to you!